Thursday, April 27, 2017

Laryngeal Pharyngeal Reflux - LPR

Hi there,

I'm a professional recording artist and in January I noticed a very sudden shift in my vocal capacities, tone and range. It happened (literally) overnight. I went to a Center in Denver, and the Dr. there scoped me and said LPR was the culprit.

Although I am only 31 and fit, and don't drink or smoke, I still altered my diet to improve it even more and to avoid citrus, chocolate, etc. It's been some time now that I've changed my diet and lifestyle according to the suggestions on your blogs (and other resources I've read) but I have not regained tone, clarity, or my original range. I'm unable to sing clearly notes that were, in January, very, very easy to hit and resonate. The "sweet spot" of my range is essentially missing.

Can you advise how long is average to recover from the impacts of LPR and if you think it's possible to recover completely? I'm wondering if the alterations to my voice are permanent.

Thank you very much for any insight.

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP writes...

It is very possible that your voice difficulties are secondary to muscle tension dysphonia, a general term to describe excessive and unnecessary tension of laryngeal muscles during voicing. Muscle tension dysphonia is often seen in response to an underlying condition, such as acid reflux, that causes irritation and subsequent compensatory change in vocal technique. Treatment involves intervention for any underlying condition, in your case acid reflux, and voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders; ask your physician for a referral.

Best of luck to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment