Monday, February 20, 2017

Singing Voice / Beat-box Voice

Good afternoon! I am inquiring on behalf of my cousin, who seems to be at a loss for what to do next, concerning his voice. He is a beat-boxer and has recently injured himself and would like any advice on how he can proceed and/or any tips on how to rest his voice for the best recovery possible. I would really appreciate whatever you can do for us. Thank you!

"It begins a little different, seeing as though, it was a beat-boxing injury. I was recently attempting to play with lower registers and I had a very sharp and severe pain stem from throat that shot through the body. I went into shock and went to the ER where they dismissed me with generalized laryngitis and gave me anxiety medication. The proceeding days, I found it almost impossible to swallow with the sensation of something catching/grinding near my Adam's apple. I then noticed rubber band popping sensation under my jaw when swallowing. An ear, nose, and throat doctor noticed bruising along my chords, but this didn't seem like enough for my other symptoms. My last observation has been if I consciously lower my Adam's apple from its stationary position, there is a popping sensation that occurs that is occasionally painful."

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP writes...

Unfortunately, I can’t offer any helpful advice without more information as to the cause of his symptoms. If his current ENT has not offered a diagnosis which would explain his symptoms, a second opinion would be in order. I would counsel your cousin to ask if additional imaging (e.g., CT of the neck) may be helpful in determining the cause of his pain. Best of luck to you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment