Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Voice Change After Surgery

I had cervical disk fusion surgery on 4/21/15.  After surgery my voice was very hoarse and now several months after I have this feeling in my throat as if there is something in there, but this was also happening right after surgery. My voice gets hoarse now and then especially when I bend forward it gets worse. Is this going to get better?

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP writes...

A temporary change in vocal quality is not uncommon after this type of surgery, though I wouldn't anticipate the change persisting this long after your procedure. I recommend that you see a laryngologist (an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor who specializes in voice disorders) for a full evaluation and treatment recommendations. Ask your surgeon for a referral or visit the American Academy of Otolaryngology/ Head & Neck Surgery at http://www.entnet.org/ to search for a physician by subspecialty.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment