Monday, October 6, 2014

Vocal Cord Nodules Treatment

Hi, I have had acid reflux and asthma for a few years and since the summer have been experiencing chronic bronchitis which has worsened the asthma. I was hospitalized for a week and I have lost my voice since September 15th, 2014. Initially they thought laryngitis but I saw the ENT and had a stroboscopy and they found beginning growths, nodules and callous like growths on my vocals chords along with a lot of swelling and mucous and they could see the blood vessels. My throat and glands are painful and burn at times. They have put me on vocal rest until further testing and encourage me not to whisper. They said depending on what happens and the ENT decides after seeing the results will determine next steps. Is there anything I can do to help?

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP writes... 

The treatment of choice for vocal cord nodules that are newly formed is voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders; I would suggest that you ask your ENT if voice therapy would be indicated, and if so, if they have a referral source. Vocal rest is indicated if the nodules were observed to be particularly traumatic or hemorrhagic, though rest alone won't typically resolve nodules otherwise. In the interim, however, good vocal hygiene would be recommended, including conservative voice use, adequate hydration, and avoidance of irritants such as smoke and alcohol.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment