Monday, October 27, 2014

Hoarse Voice

I had loss of voice beginning of April after a URI, followed by 8 weeks of raspiness, hoarseness before being seen by an ENT doctor and diagnosed with laryngeal reflux. I was put on a PPI, liquid antacid at bedtime diet modification, head of bed elevation,etc. in June.  I am a frequent singer but have not sung since March. I stay well hydrated. My voice is still raspy and rough, gets easily tired though there has been some improvement. How long should I expect these symptoms to continue? Do I need different medicine, a second opinion? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP writes...

Persistent hoarseness following an upper respiratory infection may indicate a related functional voice disorder. Muscle tension dysphonia, a general term to describe excessive and unnecessary tension of laryngeal muscles during voicing, is often seen following any condition that causes irritation and subsequent compensatory change in vocal technique (e.g., upper respiratory infection, laryngopharyngeal reflux) Treatment involves intervention for any underlying conditions, and voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders; ask your physician for a referral.

Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment