Monday, February 3, 2014

Voice Loss - Stressful Situations

A number of years ago, while on active duty in the Navy, I was having trouble with loosing my voice when in stressful situations. The doctors in San Diego, examined me and told me that I speak with my false vocal cords rather than my true ones. They even took video of my vocal cords as I spoke. Through therapy they taught me how to use my real vocal cords to speak, it was difficult but I was able to speak "normally". But over the years I fell back into the habit of using my false cords to speak but as I get older, I am 63, I am finding that just a little bit of emotion renders me speechless. Any ideas on what I can do to avoid my, as one doctor put it, "hysterical laryngitis". Thank you.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

To address functional voice loss, I would recommend that you re-visit voice therapy with a speech pathologist. Although you may have already tried to use the techniques that were helpful to you in the past, there is a good chance that a speech pathologist (one who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders) will be able to guide you in techniques specific to your "emotional" voice loss.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment