Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Voice Catching - Cutting In and Out - No Control

Hello-
I am a professional singer/songwriter. About two years ago I began to notice that my voice was catching here and there when I was singing. This has grown increasingly worse, to where the "catch" becomes a dipped note, almost a quick strangle sound. I never know when it will occur, and it is wreaking havoc with my self-esteem. Now this even occurs at times when I am simply speaking. My voice cuts in and out.
I do have allergies, and there is a good chance I have GERD. But do these sound like the symptoms of these two things? I have thought at times it was anxiety, but now I am wondering if it isn't physiological, as all the good things I am doing (taking singing lessons again, working with self-hypnosis and going to therapy) don't seem to be helping.HELP! and Thank you.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

There could be any number of explanations for your symptoms! See a laryngologist (an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician who specializes in voice disorders) for an evaluation and treatment recommendations.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment