Monday, February 3, 2014

Hoarse Voice

I have been having persistent headaches associated with further body aches and pains. But recently, I have harshness of the voice of about 2 months duration that has refused to go even after taking antibiotics. I regurgitate after every meal since I was a child. Recently, I feel as if a lump is threatening to come from my stomach through my esophagus. I also have persistent stomach ache aside the feel of bloatedness. I feel fatigued most of the time. I'll like to know what is happening to me?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

I cannot remark on your more generalized symptoms of aches and pains, bloating, and fatigue; those would be best addressed by your primary care physician. From a voice and swallowing standpoint, however, I would suggest that you first consult a laryngologist (an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician who specializes in the larynx). A laryngologist will be able to offer insight as to the nature of your voice complaints, and will be able to suggest the most appropriate diagnostic examination for your swallowing difficulties you mention, likely a modified barium swallow study with esophagram. This x-ray study is done in conjunction with a speech pathologist, who will be able to offer practical suggestions at the time of the examination.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment