Friday, February 28, 2014

Dymista - Vocal-Fry Effect

I recently visited an ENT doctor over concerns about a vocal-fry effect (moderate rasp) in my lower voice register, a problem that appears when I do public speaking but that is pretty much always with me. The doctor prescribed a month's course of Dymista based on what sounds like a very reasonable diagnosis of "probable effects from environmental allergies." (Some swelling towards the back of my vocal cords and some dimpling at the back of the soft palate seems to have led the doctor to make this diagnosis, plus the fact that I've already tried some measures against acid reflux and still have the voice issue.) My only concern (since I do vocal practice as well and enjoy singing) has to do with any potential for permanent loss of vocal range. My doctor didn't think this was anything to worry about in this regard with the medication I mentioned, so I'm just running this by your excellent site's experts to see if they have any advice on my concern. Thanks in advance!

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

I agree with your physician, I would have no concern for permanent vocal changes as the result of taking this particular medication.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment