Thursday, November 21, 2013

Medical Recommendation

I have a raspy voice which came on gradually last fall so that I had to give up singing. Yes, I smoked for years, but have not smoked since last fall. Can you recommend treatment or physician type that I should be contacting to obtain treatment. I am being treated now for rhinitis. What do singers do when they lose their voice? Whom do they see? Thanks.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

I would suggest that you seek out a consultation with a laryngologist, an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of voice disorders. Ask your physician for a referral, or visit the American Academy of Otolaryngology's website at If you choose to do an "Advanced Search" on that site you can narrow your search to the subspecialty of laryngology.

 Best of luck to you!


Thursday, November 14, 2013

Lost Use of One Vocal Cord & Severe Swallowing Problem

My wife had surgery to remove most (2/3's) of a benign meningioma, followed by 6 wks. of proton treatments. Surgery/follow up care resulted in loss of use of one vocal cord but, more troublesome, is her difficulty swallowing. Has received a mixed message that thyroplasty may or may not help the swallowing. Can you give us some probabilities?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

Medializing a paralyzed vocal cord may, in some cases, improve overall swallowing function. Without details as to the results of a recent instrumental swallowing evaluation, I cannot remark as to whether or not such a procedure would be helpful in your wife's particular case. I would be happy to comment further if such results were available, or I would suggest consultation with a laryngologist (an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders).

Good luck!