Saturday, October 26, 2013

Hoarseness for 2 Consecutive Months

I have been a physical ed. & health ed. teacher for the last 37 years. A few months before the summer, my voice was hoarse. During my summer vacation, my voice was back to normal. The last 2 months of school, my voice is hoarse again. I do NOT scream at my students but use my voice for intervals of 3 hours everyday. A break for 50 minutes. Another 2 hours talking to my students, rest 30 min. another 2 hours with the students. My doctor examined my throat and saw everything was fine. There is NO pain, swelling, etc. I am supposed to see the otolaryngologist in Jan. 2015. I am drinking tea each day to sooth my throat when at rest. Staying away from a lot of caffeine, NON-SMOKER too. When will my voice return back to its normal state? Remember, NO pain, No swelling. Non-Smoker. Use voice everyday.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

If your larynx was determined to be healthy by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician, it is very possible that your speaking voice difficulties are secondary to muscle tension dysphonia, a general term to describe excessive and unnecessary tension of laryngeal muscles during voicing. Muscle tension dysphonia is often seen in response to an underlying condition, such as acid reflux, that causes irritation and subsequent compensatory change in vocal technique. Treatment involves intervention for any underlying condition, and voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders; ask your physician for a referral. 

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment