Tuesday, August 13, 2013

No Change of Voice

Hi, I am a 24 year old male and my voice hasn't broke yet.  It sounds like a guy when someone hears me personally but when I record it or talk over the phone many think that I am a female.  Even if someone is hearing me behind the door they think that a female is talking.  I have had normal signs of puberty like pubic hair, beard, moustache and all signs except voice.  I want to know can my voice get deeper now I mean can I change my voice now.  Please help.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...  
I would recommend an evaluation by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician to rule out the possibility that something structural/ functional is contributing to your symptoms. In the absence of anatomic or physiologic abnormality, persistence of abnormally high pitch in young men or women after the onset of puberty is referred to a "puberphonia," and can be treated in voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment