Monday, August 26, 2013

Low Raspy Voice


I just have a question regarding a very low, raspy voice.. I've always had it, but it is hard for me to speak up (I feel like I'm screaming if I do) and talking for lengths of time or in a crowded place it gets sore.

I was born at 25 weeks and was on breathing tubes and hooked up to a nebulizer while in NICU and 3 months or so after I came home. My father recently told me due to the breathing tubes I have scar tissue.

I'm now 25 (female), have never smoked or drank or done drugs. Ive had regular checkups and nothing out of ordinary comes up.

I was just curious as to whether scar tissue could cause such a raspy voice? I love my voice but I'd like to be able to project my voice and not feel so sore after talking for long periods. Do you have any suggestions or resources?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...


Yes, vocal fold scarring as the result of prolonged intubation (placement of a breathing tube) can result in altered vocal quality. The only way to determine if this is the cause of your "raspy" voice, and to learn of possible treatment strategies, is to be evaluated by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment