Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hoarse Voice after Anabolics

I am a 33 years old female. When I was 18 years old I started to use anabolic steroids to increased my body mass. I was very slim when I was a teenager and I was bullied all the time by my friends. Now I have a very hoarse voice that does not let me talk with clarity. Sometimes people make fun of me because this horrible voice. I went with a otolaryngologist to evaluate me but they said that nothing can be done. I am still looking for help before you reply this email saying "I am sorry I can not do anything for you". Please think if a surgery can help me. Doctors said that nothing abnormal is in my throat that all the structures looks normal. But this is something that really affects me. I always make an effort to speak louder than a normal person due to people can not hear me or understand me. I also feel a pressure/stress on my throat, it may be because my voice is so deep. I live in Texas. Please I will do anything that can help me to have a fine voice - any change in my voice will help. I know that I can not recover my own voice but at least a slight change. Thank you. 

Barbara P. Messing, M.A., CCC-SLP, BRS-S replies...

Thank you for posting your question to our Ask an Expert online. It is important that you have already seen an otolaryngologist and your examination revealed normal findings from an anatomy and physiology standpoint. I understand that you continue to experience significant vocal problems. I recommend that you seek a voice evaluation and voice therapy by a speech pathologist trained in voice. If you go to our national referral database you may be able to find a voice center with a speech pathologist specially trained to treat voice disorders. There are several in Texas. You could also ask your otolaryngologist to recommend someone near your home.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards
Barbara Messing
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I had an accident 1997 and paralyzed one of my vocal cords. After about 1 year I could start talking again. I am a professional singer and could never sing and pitch the same again, but my range dropped with about 3 semitones. I manage to sing fine in my range but sometimes I need that little bit more. I have been to an ENT who scanned me and both vocal cord work perfect. How do I get back what I had, it feels like I'm using my throat to try and pitch , my vocal cords can't go over to falsetto mode, it just fades away. It feels like I'm running on half power.

    Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

    If you have truly had full return of function, then voice therapy with a speech pathologist may be helpful in reducing any compensatory behaviors that may have developed in response to your paralysis, thereby improving vocal performance. In some cases, however, some residual weakness persists; if this is the case, medical intervention, such as a potential injection augmentation, may be more appropriate. See a laryngologist (an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders) for assessment and treatment recommendations.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete