Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Vocal Nodules

I'm having vocal nodules. I was diagnosed by an ENT and he told me that the nodules were small so he said you don't need surgery right now.  So, I have had15 days voice rest and my voice is normal when at normal pitch but when I go for high notes while singing I can't reach those notes.  I want the nodules out as soon as possible.  Can you tell me which surgery is safer? The one which is performed with an instrument or the co2 laser?  As one of my uncles, who is a general physician told me, the surgery could give permanent voice hoarseness if a scar develops.  Can you tell me the safe way to get those nodules out please?  The other thing is that no KTP laser is used in our area.  Please help.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

In most cases, voice rest will not resolve vocal cord nodules; voice therapy with a speech pathologist is the treatment of choice for acute (newly formed) nodules. If vocal fold nodules have been long-standing, it is possible that voice therapy will not resolve the nodules and surgical removal may be an option. If you interested in having the nodules excised, surgeons may use either cold instruments or CO2 laser. Although surgeons usually fall into one camp or the other in terms of their approach, both methods can be used to effectively treat vocal cord nodules.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment