Sunday, July 28, 2013

Polyp Surgery and Voice Problems

I had surgery 5 months ago to remove a polyp on my vocal cords. My singing voice has not come back the way it was before. There seems to be a spot in the center of my range that I can't seem to hit the way I could without my voice cracking. The funny thing is I can hit higher notes with no problems. I have only started singing a bit as I decided to take a year off from singing. I am worried that I have done some damage to my voice. Is this normal to expect when you start back singing? Once I experienced these issues I just stopped singing, but it's an important part of my job.  Thanks.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

It is certainly possible, and in many cases expected, to experience some changes in how the voice sounds and performs after phonosurgery. I would suggest that you see your surgeon for evaluation as to why you continue to have singing voice difficulties five months after surgery. If the problem is a functional one, voice therapy with a speech pathologist may be helpful.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment