Tuesday, July 23, 2013

LPR (GERD) Esophageal Dismotility

On July 10, 2013 I was diagnosed with GERD and esophogeal dismotility.    I have acid come into my throat all the time. My ENT told me I have LPR.  My doctor doesn't acknowledge this disorder (LPR).  My doctor told me to go home and "pray". He stated that there was nothing I could do for the problem. I am a kindergarten teacher and my voice is my career. I can't bend over without acid entering my throat. I CONSTANTLY cough, choke, my voice breaks all the time. I have had several episodes where my throat closes and I can't inhale any air. It only lasted 15-30 seconds but I was panicked. Do you have any suggestions?  My doctor said surgery (fundolpication couldn't be done due to the dismotility. He stated that I might not be able to get food into my stomach and I might have to "drink my food". That would be better than what I have to put up with now. Any ideas? I am desperate.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...  

If your physician is unable to offer you any treatment option for your acid reflux disease other than prayer, I would suggest that you seek out a second opinion.  


As to the episodes of throat closing you describe, it sounds as though you are describing laryngospasm, an involuntary muscular spasm of the vocal cords, which temporarily impairs your ability to inhale and/ or exhale. Laryngospasm can be very frightening, but episodes typically resolve on their own fairly quickly. Laryngospasm is often the result of acid irritation to the throat, so treatment involves effective medical management of acid reflux. If reflux is appropriately managed and episodes of laryngospasm persist, respiratory retraining with a speech pathologist can often be helpful in reducing or eliminating such episodes.


Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment