Friday, June 28, 2013

Vocal Therapy

I am very interested in being a Musical Theatre performer, but I want to play female roles. Normally this would simply be classified as Drag, but I want to be able to change my voice to sound as feminine as possible during speaking and singing. I was wondering if there were any exercise or therapeutic techniques that would help me "feminize" my voice for performing, but preferably keep a "normal" voice during my everyday routine?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

An experienced vocal coach or singing teacher would be helpful in finding your "feminine" voice for performance. I would caution you, however, that prolonged use of pitch or vocal quality that is dramatically different than your natural voice may contribute to the development of hyperfunction of the laryngeal musculature or even traumatic lesions (e.g., vocal fold nodules, polyp, etc.) Discuss this with your instructor and don't use your voice in any way that feels uncomfortable!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment