Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Strange Vocal Problem

Hi, I'm a self-taught singer and I had a strange occurrence about two weeks ago, I started my usual warm-up routine that consists of lip-trills and then some scale stuff and before I even started I realized I had no voice it was just about completely gone. I had considered that maybe it was the Excedrin I had taken for my headache? I thought maybe it had dehydrated me or something. So, I just stopped and didn't talk for the rest of the night. The next day, my voice was back but, it was still a little strange. Also, I've been making sure I'm drinking a lot of water. For the past two weeks my voice has been kind of hoarse, not chronically at all, I've had no pain, and I thought it may have been the seasonal change or my allergies, I stopped taking my zyrtech because I'd learned it dehydrates as well. To me it seems I may have symptoms of LPR like, the tight throat, lump sensation (on and off), thick mucus, some post-nasal drip. When I talk my voice seems almost normal but, I can tell when I start to sing that it's not right, my voice feels dry and scratchy. Which makes me think maybe it's LPR causing some acute laryngitis? I've been trying to rest it but, it hasn't seemed to help too much. I can't figure out for sure what's going on and I'm in the middle of recording a record with my band so, any kind of advice would be helpful.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
Unfortunately, it is impossible to offer advice as to remediation of your symptoms without a diagnosis. There are any number of explanations for your vocal symptoms, and treatment options would vary greatly depending on that explanation. I would suggest that you be evaluated by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician. In the interim, continue to practice excellent vocal hygiene (visit
http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1558 for vocal hygiene tips).

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment