Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hoarse Voice Since Last 5 Years

Hello, I lost my natural sweet voice 5 yrs ago during pregnancy. Now my voice sounds like a man and has no high pitch. I saw a laryngologist and after all the tests he said it is possible that my vocal cords were permanently damaged due to acid reflux during pregnancy. I want to get a second opinion from you. Also if there is anything I can do to get the voice somewhat better... 

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
Unfortunately, I cannot offer a second opinion via email. It certainly is possible for vocal cord damage to occur as the result of chronic acid reflux; however, the only way to know if this is the case, and to determine appropriate treatment strategies, is to see a laryngologist. What did your physician offer you in terms of management? If you do not feel as though your symptoms were appropriately addressed, seek out a second opinion with a physician who can examine you directly.

Best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment