Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lost Voice

I'm a singer who sings in all chest voice. I lost my voice suddenly and w/o any other illness about five months ago. Since then it has not fully recovered, my singing voice is strained and hard to control, and I can only sing for short spurts before I start to cough and lose my singing voice though I can still speak normally. My range has also suffered. I have to assume I am singing improperly but it's only a guess.

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
Any time you experience a sudden voice loss - especially when you are unable to identify any precipitating or contributing factors - you should be seen at a dedicated voice center for a video stroboscopy. The voice team should include a laryngologist (ENT specializing in voice -- not a general ENT) and a speech language pathologist specializing in voice. The team will work with you to determine the cause of your voice problems and the best next steps to take. If you don't know of a dedicated voice center in your area, you can search for one using our national referral database
http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1551. If you are near our center in Baltimore, we would be happy to see you here. Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment