Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Difficult to Sing High

I am 17 years old, and my voice starts doing weird things when I hit a certain note. I can sing without any problems low, but around a C sharp, I have a hard time singing that high and sounds like I am forcing it. I don't have any pain in my throat. It has been doing this for a while. Do you have any idea of what can cause this?   

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
Problems transitioning from low to high is one of the most common voice problems singers encounter. Singing is a tricky balance of air flow, air pressure, and muscular effort. Try to notice if you are pushing a lot with your throat muscles, or if you have a sense of holing your breath as you get higher in pitch. Try gliding through your entire range on lip trills (lip flutters or lip bubbles) or simply through a straw. See if that troublesome area of your voice becomes easier to navigate using these tools. The best thing you can do though, is find a good singing teacher who understands the anatomy and physiology of voice production. A good singing teacher will be able to help you with this issue. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment