Friday, March 15, 2013

Falsetto Voice

10 years ago I had a thyroidectomy. It was years before I was able to actually sing again. My chest voice has come back strong but my falsetto is next to nothing. When I try to sing in my falsetto it feels as if I can't control the vocal cords enough to make a decent sound. Is there any way I can strengthen or rebuild my falsetto?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 
Difficulty in raising pitch can be the result of damage to the superior laryngeal nerve, which can sustain injury during a thyroidectomy. It is also possible that the reason for your difficulties with falsetto are secondary to improper technique and/ or excessive laryngeal tension. See an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician to discuss these possibilities, and whether or not voice therapy with a speech pathology might be helpful.  

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment