Tuesday, February 5, 2013


I am 40 years old and I have been singing since since I was 9. I have been in rock bands for the past 6/7 years. I have lost my range. I get hoarse easily, tight vocals, sore throat, use to feel like I had a lump in my throat (not any more), cracking in range, hard to sing calm notes (not steady), and takes forever for me to warm up. I sing for a living. I went to the ENT 3 years ago and no problems. I guess acid reflux could of been a factor but I no longer eat late and I have went back to eating clean for the past 7 months. Will it be possible for me to clear this up? I still sing but some shows its a struggle. I was thinking about taking vocal lessons. Is there a certain technique I should look for in training? Please help!!! Thank you in advance.

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
You should find a laryngologist at a voice center -- not a general ENT -- and make sure you are examined using video stroboscopy so that they are able to observe the vibration of the vocal folds. A general ENT may not have that equipment. It sounds like you would benefit from voice therapy with a speech-language pathologist trained to work with singers, and a laryngologist at a voice center should be able to set that up for you. Then, the voice therapist should be able to refer you to a good voice teacher when you are ready. If you are near Baltimore, we would be happy to see you here (
https://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=26&eformid=121). Otherwise, our national referral database (http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1551) should provide the resources you need. Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment