Friday, February 1, 2013

Lost Singing Voice After Being Sick

I've been sick for about two weeks which consisted of non stop coughing and just got better but when I tried singing I couldn't reach high notes or low ones and my range seems to have decreased by A LOT. I can't hold a note without staggering or my voice cracking. I was able to sing just fine before I got sick. Will my singing voice return to normal? If so, how long will I have to wait?

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
It can take a while for the vocal folds to feel "back to normal" after a bad cold, especially one with a lot of coughing. Coughing can be very traumatic to the vocal folds causing them to remain swollen and inflamed after the cold has otherwise resolved. You should be seen by a laryngologist if you are concerned for any damage to the vocal folds. Otherwise, be patient and hopefully you will see a return of voice soon. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment