Friday, February 1, 2013

Lost Falsetto

I lost my falsetto during Marine Corps Boot Camp from screaming so much. I can't seem to get it back. It's been almost 7 months and it still has not improved much. It's really frustrating. My range used to be huge with my falsetto and now it's just completely non-existent. Can I ever get it back? If so how? Will I need surgery?

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
I can't say whether you will need surgery, but I would recommend that you see a laryngologist to find out what has changed. Screaming can cause traumatic changes to the vocal folds such as a polyp or nodules. In either case, voice therapy would be the first line of defense. With benign vocal fold lesions such as these, we try to avoid surgery unless absolutely necessary. Find a team specializing in voice (laryngologist and SLP-voice therapist) and hopefully you will have your questions answered. If they immediately recommend surgery - get a second opinion. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment