Friday, February 8, 2013

Loss of Falsetto Due to Whooping Cough

Hi, I have had Whooping cough for the past two months, and am just finishing a weeks course of antibiotics to deal with it. About a month after the coughing started I was coughing up blood, and completely lost my voice. Now that I am finishing my antibiotics, my voice and normal singing voice have almost (still quite breathy and hoarse) returned back to normal. However, my falsetto has literally disappeared. It's just not there at all anymore. It has been over a month since I had my falsetto voice now and I am seriously distraught at the idea of this being permanent. I am a 21 year old male student currently studying acting at a London Drama School, for which voice work and singing is a huge part. Not to mention, I love singing. I understand that the falsetto voice is created by the edges of the vocal folds vibrating whilst the main body of the folds stay relatively relaxed. Is it possible that that I have permanently damaged the edges of my vocal chords and that my falsetto will never come back? Or will it just need time?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 
I can understand your concern! It would be impossible to remark on whether or not your apparent loss of falsetto is permanent without a physical examination; see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for evaluation and treatment considerations.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment