Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Deeper Voice


I realize I am unlikely to get the answer I want, but I have to ask: I'm 28 and still sound more like a boy going through puberty, or even a woman. Will I ever sound like a man? Will my voice ever truly deepen, or has that ship sailed?

Is there ANYthing I can do to make it deeper? I don't need to sound like James Earl Jones; I'm mostly just tired of people calling me Ms. on the telephone.


Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
In the absence of anatomic or physiologic abnormality, persistence of abnormally high pitch in young men or women after the onset of puberty is referred to a "puberphonia," and can be treated in voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders. I would first recommend an evaluation by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician to rule out the possibility that something structural/ functional is contributing to your symptoms, and a referral to a speech pathologist if puberphonia is suspected.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment