Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tonsil Surgery

As a kid my parents noticed I couldn't sleep at night..my tonsils would get swollen. After the surgery I wasn't able to talk as well anymore. I'm not sure what happened. Could you answer me this? What happened that affected my speech? I'm 14 and I have no idea what happened.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
Is it your speech that has been affected? Or your voice? It is possible to experience some hypernasality following tonsillectomy that typically resolves spontaneously. Occasionally, an individual with altered resonance secondary to tonsillectomy will require voice therapy to address incomplete / insufficient closure of the soft palate. The only way to determine the cause of your symptoms and appropriate treatment strategies is to return to your surgeon for re-assessment.

Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment