Friday, January 11, 2013

Throat

My throat constantly has mucus or what feels like mucus in my throat and it's causing me not to sing very well.  What should I do? I don't smoke or drink or do anything to it.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

If the reason for your increased mucous is simply a response to environmental dryness, then increasing humidification should help... drinking half your body weight in ounces of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic fluids each day, using a warm-mist humidifier in your bedroom at night, and using saline spray to the nose should all help in thinning mucous and allowing you to clear it more effectively. There are many other reasons, however, that might cause you to experience excessive or thick secretions, so if this symptom persists, see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for an evaluation. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment