Thursday, January 17, 2013

Poor Bass Voice

I am a female singer from India. My problem is that I have a very poor bass voice-I can hardly reach middle A in the daytime. My diet consists of the typical Indian food (which is pretty oily and spicy) and I have Pani puri (spicy dish) every alternate day. I wanted to know how I can improve my bass voice. Will practice help? I have read that trying too hard may cause permanent damage to my vocal cords so I'm a little apprehensive. I'm pretty good at high pitches and can reach up to high E, and higher in falsetto.

One thing I've noticed is that in early morning (4AMto7AM) and late nights (11PM), I can reach until low D#, but as I said before reaching A in the normal hours is a problem. Please suggest voice exercises and tips to improve my bass voice.   This is important because I generally land up shifting the song some notes higher to fit my range, which causes inconvenience to the band members etc.
I will really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies... 
I wouldn't recommend trying to sing outside of your range unless you are being guided by an experienced voice teacher. And even then, it's generally best to stick to your true range. You can adjust the key or change the tune to accommodate your true vocal range. Otherwise, I would suggest that you just enjoy your healthy voice! Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment