Monday, January 28, 2013

Can't Sing or Talk Well

A couple weeks ago, I had a cold. My throat was hurting and for these past two or three weeks, I haven't been able to sing. In my high school choir, I have to lip sync during practice because my voice is so bad. I could barely talk for a while, but I am able to talk more now. My throat doesn't hurt, but I still can't sing. I don't know if I'm still sick, or what. I was going to audition for my school's version of American Idol next week, but I don't know if I'll be able to since my voice has been so messed up. Is there anything I could do to get it back to normal or to at least help it before the 29th? If you have anything to give me, thank you!

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
Excellent vocal hygiene is key as your voice recovers. Visit our web page at http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1558 for a list of recommendations, but basic vocal hygiene guidelines would include:

1. Drink half your body weight in ounces of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic fluids daily.
2. Maintain a "moist" atmosphere by using a warm-mist humidifier in your home.
3. Conserve your voice as much as possible; avoid hard coughing and throat clearing, yelling/ screaming, and prolonged loud talking.    

If your vocal symptoms persist, see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for an evaluation. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment