Friday, December 14, 2012

Voice Loudness Decreased?

I was diagnosed with a giant cell tumor in my cricoid cartilage. Since the tumor is rare and the positioning of it is even more rare there are not a lot of treatments available other than a full laryngectomy. A giant cell tumor is resistant to radiation and cannot be put in remission that way. The tumor is benign and only grows into my airway. I underwent so far two debulking surgeries which opened my very constrained wind pipe (trache) up again.

Coming out of my 2nd surgery I was speaking at a normal volume level. However roughly 4-5 days after the surgery my voice became horse in such a way that I can't speak loud anymore. If I am in a normal environment people can understand me fine, but if I am for example in a restaurant my voice gets hard to understand. I tried yelling to see how loud I can get and it is nowhere near where it used to be.

What could be the reason for this? Plus have you heard of any treatments for a giant cell tumor in the cricoid area besides a full laryngectomy?

Thank you.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
It is possible that you've experienced post-operative nerve or muscle damage that is contributing to your vocal symptom of decreased volume. Only an examination by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician will reveal the cause of your vocal difficulties. As for the options for treatment in the case of your tumor, I would defer to your surgeon. If you feel that all options have not been explored by your current surgeon, I would certainly recommend that you seek out a second opinion.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment