Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Vocal Cords

Hi.  So I've been sick recently and still am sort of recovering but I'm just curious as to what may have happened to my voice. I'm 14 and I sing practically every day so I'm concerned about the damage to my vocal cords. For the past four days I've been coughing and have had a sore throat. It's so bad that I've lost my voice somewhat, so it's down to a whisper. I've been talking during those four days, which I know I shouldn't have, so I'd like to know how bad this may have damaged my voice. I'm in my school choir so I need to know if I do recover soon will my voice be damaged. I'm in soprano 1 and I've heard people saying their ranges have shrunk so that kind of bothers me. I'm very passionate about singing so this really scares me because I'm hoping I didn't completely ruin my vocal cords.
Thank you so much! Sorry if there are grammatical errors anywhere, I just really need some information or help.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

It is unlikely that you "completely ruined" your vocal cords... although I agree that I would have recommended that you try to rest your voice if you had a cough and sore throat. From this point on, rest your voice as much as possible, drink plenty of fluids, and visit your physician to address your cough (coughing is very abusive to the vocal cords). If you continue to experience hoarseness or voice change after your cold symptoms have resolved, see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for an evaluation.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment