Friday, December 28, 2012

Can No Longer Sing After Being On a Ventilator

Ever since I came off of the ventilator 5 yrs. ago, because of double pneumonia, I can no longer sing! My whole upper registry is gone completely and at times my singing voice all together. What could possibly be wrong, and do you think it's fixable? MY VOICE IS MY GIFT FROM GOD, AND I NEED TO BE ABLE TO USE IT AGAIN.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
Emergent and/ or prolonged intubation does carry a risk of damage to the larynx, which most commonly would present in the form of vocal fold motion impairment or development of granulation tissue. Treatment options would depend on an accurate diagnosis; see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for a thorough evaluation.

Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment