Monday, November 5, 2012

What Happened to My Voice?

Hello, I used to be able to sing really low songs such as Trololo, Chocolate Rain, and several other songs that no one else I knew could sing because of how low/deep they were. One day very recently, I just wasn't able to make my voice as deep, I wasn't able to hold the notes, and I can't sing those songs as a result. I'm an 18 year old male so I don't think it is a puberty thing. Should I let my voice rest or what should I do?

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...

If the change was sudden and you aren't experiencing an upper respiratory infection or other obvious cause for voice changes, you should see a laryngologist and voice therapist for a video stroboscopy. Hopefully they will be able to get to the bottom of the cause. If no cause if evident, the voice therapist should be able to work with you on your vocal technique as appropriate. If you are in the Baltimore area, we would be happy to see you here. If you are elsewhere, please refer to the National Referral Database on our website for a provider in your area:
http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1551. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment