Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Weight Loss and Voice Change

I am a soprano singer and can normally reach a high C.  However, I noticed in August this year my vocal range has reduced dramatically and my voice is slightly darker in colour - more of that of a mezzo singer. I have no idea what's happened.  The only changes are that I lost around 30lbs in weight in April-July and am wondering whether this could be the reason? My throat is a little tender at the moment but I've never experienced such dramatic change when having a sore throat before. Any ideas what may have happened? Thank you

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
It is possible that the weight loss is a contributing factor to your voice changes. Sometimes when you lose a significant amount of weight, your vocal folds also loose mass, which can result in changes in pitch range and vocal quality among other things. The best advice I can give you is to get it checked out by a laryngologist. If you are in the Baltimore area, we would be happy to see you here. Otherwise, check out the national referral database for ENTs specializing in voice on our website. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment