Thursday, November 1, 2012

Weak Voice

In 2010 and also in 2011 I had carotid body tumors removed. I have since had problems with my bottom lip function and problems singing. The lip function is much improved over time and unless you knew about it you would probably not notice it, but my voice is getting weaker and I can't hold a high note. Do you think anyone could help me?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

It is certainly possible that there was damage to the vagus nerve during surgery to remove a carotid body tumor, which would impact vocal fold function. The only way to know that type and extent of the injury would be to see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for an evaluation. If your vocal symptoms are due to a vocal fold motion impairment, which would be one potential outcome of this type of nerve damage, there are treatment options available.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment