Thursday, November 29, 2012

Voice Maturity

I am 20+ but my voice has not yet matured.  I have two voices. When I speak normally have a kid like voice, but when I speak a bit louder, the voice comes from my throat and is like a 40 year old man. So I want to know which is my real voice and how can I speak to people?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
I would first suggest that you seek out an evaluation with a laryngologist (an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician with specialized training in voice disorders) in order to determine if there are any anatomic or physiologic factors contributing to your vocal difficulties. If your larynx is determined to be structurally normal, you may be experiencing what is referred to as "puberphonia." Puberphonia is the persistence of abnormally high pitched voice following the onset of puberty, and can often be successfully treated in voice therapy with a speech pathologist. 

Although I would guess that your "real voice" is the one that sounds like a grown man's voice, I hesitate to make that judgment without personally evaluating you.

Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment