Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Voice Loss - Strep Throat

I had strep throat about 3 weeks ago, during which I experienced almost total vocal loss, lasting almost a week. I am now recovering from a sinus infection as well and I have had 2 steroid shots during this month-long period. I am a singer (soprano) and I have not regained my lower/middle range to any of it's normal strength and control. What could be the cause of this issue?

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...

Did you get the steroid shots in order to perform while you were sick? If so, it's possible that the false sense of vocal well being that steroids can cause led you to overdo it during your performances. You may have a phonotraumatic injury from singing while sick. Or you may just be going through a rough period of illness with a longer than expected recovery time. My advice, of course, is to see a qualified laryngologist specializing in singers who can do a video stroboscopic exam of your larynx. Come see us here if you are in the area, or check out our referral database for voice centers across the country. Best of luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment