Thursday, November 29, 2012

Vocal Issues: 28 yr old Female

I rely on my voice to do my job as a music therapist. A few years ago I suffered though about 8 months of problems before I finally went to an ENT and they told me I had no nodules. It was just really bad sinuses and a nasal spray helped me. My voice was back to normal and whenever I had an issue, it was usually just a sinus infection or sinus pressure and a simple medicine would make it go away. Well I don't believe that is the case here. Back in March I got myself checked for nodules again because I started noticing changes in my voice- speaking primarily and was told again that I have no nodules. Now starting about 2 months ago, my singing voice is sounding very weird. I have no confidence because my range used to be pretty even and flexible through out and now I am just weak on certain shapes and I don't feel as flexible and at some points- I sound like I am going though puberty. My voice gets tired easily and when that happens it gets airy and cracks. I have a wide range. Please help. Thank you.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
There are any number of conditions, other than vocal fold nodules, that might result in the symptoms you describe. Other than your ENT telling you that don't have vocal fold nodules, what diagnosis was suggested? If you feel that you have not been diagnosed accurately, I would suggest that you seek out a laryngologist, an ENT who specializes in voice disorders. See the American Academy of Otolaryngology to search for an ENT by sub-specialty at
http://www.entnet.org/.

Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment