Thursday, November 22, 2012

Repair of Cracked Voice

I am a singer and a nursery school teacher. We had a vigil in church 3weeks ago. After that vigil, my voice cracked. I have tried menthol, warm water etc. yet I still can't sing. What do I do? I am missing the choir.  

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
If you have been overusing your voice, it will probably need a rest. I don't know how long your vigil lasted, but if you were singing for many hours, you should rest your voice for at least that long. Though menthol can feel soothing, it is actually an irritant for the voice and should be replaced with a glycerin-based lozenge such as Hall's Breezers or Grether's Pastilles. And when it comes to beverages, your best bet is always going to be room temperature water rather than anything very hot or very cold. If you can, take some time to rest your voice. And just to be safe, make an appointment for an exam with a laryngologist specializing in singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment