Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Voice

I am a 48 year old woman and have never been able to scream or sing as my voice is always in a low pitch noise.  I sound like a man.  It is very gruff sounding when I try to sing a high note.  My voice will only go in a low pitch.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

I would recommend an evaluation by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician to rule out the possibility that something structural/ functional is contributing to your symptoms. In the absence of anatomic or physiologic abnormality, abnormally low pitch can be the result of a functional voice disorder (i.e., how you are using your voice), and can be treated in voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders.
Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment