Thursday, November 29, 2012

Loss of Voice After Surgery

I had surgery on my C6 & C7 disc on October 12th of this year. The doctor went through my neck, and I knew I would lose my voice but I still haven't gotten it fully back.  How long will that take, and what can I do to help?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
Individuals who have had anterior cervical disc surgery are at risk for voice disorders given the chance of injury to the recurrent laryngeal nerve. In some cases, a vocal cord paralysis will result, but persistent hoarseness can also be the result of simple edema and/ or excessive muscular tension with voicing. The only way to know the reason for your ongoing voice difficulty, prognosis for recovery, and potential treatment options, is to have your larynx examined by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician.

Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment