Thursday, November 29, 2012

Loss of Voice From Stretching

Sometimes I will stretch my arms above my head, like you do in the morning, or reach from a seated position to get something off the floor and if I push a tad more than the usual amount, I will lose my voice for about 10-20 seconds after. Air will pass through like I am talking but it is below a whisper and no actual voicing will happen. Sometimes it just switches back on and sometimes it takes a few seconds to progressively go from a foggy voice to my normal voice. I am female and 32 years old, have not smoked for a year, and have seasonal allergies for every season. Thoughts?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
I suppose that it is possible that there is a muscular explanation for your symptom, but I would suggest seeing an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician, where you could attempt to replicate the problem while the physician is visualizing the larynx.

Thank you for your question!

No comments:

Post a Comment