Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hoarse Voice

I just got a hoarse voice. I don't feel sick or anything, I just have a hoarse voice and a little bit of a cough. Anyways, this is the third year in a row that I have had a hoarse voice around this time. I don't understand why it's happening. Why IS it happening? Is there anyway to prevent it from happening a forth year? And if so, how? Also, last year when I got my hoarse voice, I didn't get my regular voice back fully until THREE weeks after I got it! Is there any way I can make it so that I don't have it for that long this year? If so, how?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

A viral laryngitis can cause hoarseness with or without other upper respiratory symptoms. If the reason for your hoarseness is simply a viral laryngitis, then no, there isn't much you can do to shorten the duration of your symptoms, you simply have to let it run its course. The only way to know the reason for your symptoms, however, and to know if there is anything you can do or medication you can take, is to be evaluated by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician. 

Good luck to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment