Thursday, November 29, 2012

Acute Onset of Voice Change

I am a professional singer, female, age 50. I had a very bizarre experience today where my voice suddenly cut out on me with no warning.One minute I was singing just fine, the next minute I was croaking. Not only was I extremely hoarse, I was suddenly unable to control the pitch. Just as suddenly about 3 hours later, it returned completely. No swelling, soreness, illness, congestion, dehydration, over-use, just a feeling of fatigue.   My voice has always been very reliable. Any ideas? Weird menopausal thing? Unusual virus? I am now afraid it will happen again in the middle of a concert.

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
Any time there is an acute onset of voice change like that, we recommend being seen by a laryngologist who specializes in the singing voice just to be on the safe side. Even if it turns out that there is nothing wrong, at least you will have peace of mind. Check out our
national referral database for someone in your area. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment