Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Weak Voice

For as long as I can remember, my voice has been weak, scratchy and cracks often. I find in the morning it can be okay, but more often than not it becomes weak and strained. I have to clear my throat but it is still raspy and strained.

I'm not a singer, I'm 27 years old. I never noticed this to be a problem as a young teenager. It must have started at about 16. I've seen an ENT doctor who had no suggestions.

I often try to avoid situations where I have to talk, as it is that debilitating.

The morning after a big night out my voice is actually even and deep. But otherwise it is relatively high and scratchy.  Any ideas?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

If you've seen an ENT who performed a visual examination of your larynx (using either a flexible or rigid endoscope) and did not diagnose any obvious reason for your symptoms, I would suspect at least some element of a functional voice disorder, or a problem with the way in which you are using your voice. If this is the case, voice therapy with a speech pathologist would be helpful. If your ENT did not examine you with an endoscope, I would suggest that seek out an ENT who can perform this type of examination for a more thorough look at your vocal folds.

Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment