Monday, October 22, 2012

Voice Strained?

Today I was playing around with my voice like making "funny" noises to sound like monsters or whatever..to make people laugh but..now my singing voice isn't reaching what it was before it happened today it kinda cracks or my voice dies out. I'm guessing I strained my voice? And shouldn't do it again, but am I going to lose my singing voice?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

It is possible to essentially "strain" your voice when using vocal pitch or quality that is unnatural for you. I would not guess that you have caused any long-term problems with this one incident, although I would suggest that you avoid this type of vocal behavior in the future now that you know that it has a negative impact on your voice. Practice good vocal hygiene until you feel that your symptoms have resolved; if they have not resolved in two to three weeks, see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician.

For information on vocal hygiene guidelines, please see
http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1558.

 Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment