Thursday, October 25, 2012

Two Tones at Once

In the past several weeks my falsetto has been voicing two tones at once - the intended note, as well as the fifth below it. For several years I have been experiencing a tightness in my throat when singing, and my range has been shifting lower and lower well into the bass range. My falsetto & upper range is pretty much gone. Help! Two tones out of one throat might sound cool on YouTube, but to me it sounds like I need to see an ENT...

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...

I agree! It does sound like you need to see an ENT. Diplophonia -- two tones produced by the vocal folds at the same time -- can be symptomatic of vocal fold weakness or of a vocal fold lesion. I recommend that you find a qualified ENT who specializes in voice and is experienced in working with singers, and who can perform a video stroboscopy as part of his or her exam. If you are in the Baltimore area, we would be happy to see you here at the Johns Hopkins Voice Center at GBMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment